The Prince of Wales began a two-day trip to Northern Ireland with a recital by the Ulster Orchestra in a 19th century Methodist church in Belfast which is undergoing major restoration. Prince Charles toured the Carlisle Memorial Church, which has served as a gateway to north Belfast since 1875 on the opposite side of the Clifton Street to the original Belfast Poor House. The Church was built on land belonging to the Belfast Charitable Society.
The neo-Gothic building was at the heart of one of the most troubled parts of Belfast and during the troubles the congregation shrank rapidly and the church closed in 1982, but has subsequently been brought back into use by the Belfast Buildings Trust. Paula Reynolds CEO of the Belfast Charitable Society attended the event and discussed the work of the HLF supported North Belfast ‘Great Places’ Scheme.