Ever wondered about the origin of some of the old tiled Belfast street signs? Well, at a meeting of the Belfast Corporation in July 1869, known today as Belfast City Council, it was resolved that the Belfast Charitable Society should affix signs to the streets on their land including Clifton Street, Regent Street & Duncairn Street. Over time as our lands continued to develop, we added Glenravel Street into the mix; named after the home of the Benn Brothers in the Glens of Antrim. George and Edward Benn were responsible for adding two additional wings onto the Poor House and built two hospitals on Glenravel Street itself.
The Glenravel Street sign, salvaged from the demolition of the area to make way for the Westlink, is the only physical remnant of a street which was once a hive of activity!