Following air strikes in April 1941 those in charge of Clifton House set about making arrangements to get the residents and the staff out of Belfast. They ultimately settled on Garron Tower on the North Coast as a safe refuge.
Garron Tower was a quiet, isolated spot compared with life in the city of Belfast. Rationing also had an impact. In Belfast the relatives of the residents could have easily walked there for visits, however with petrol rationed, even those with cars did not have enough fuel to get to Garron Tower. The Matron requested additional games, gramophone records and a wireless to help the residents wile away the days.
The war rumbled on and everyone was keen to return to Clifton House. As 1945 was drawing to a close and it seemed the war had finally ended, the Committee went to the army, who used Clifton House during the war, to seek the return of the building. Five and a half years after leaving the House, the Belfast Charitable Society Board returned on 31st August 1946 and set about the mammoth task of to organising the transportation of our residents, equipment, furniture and staff back to North Belfast. It was an enormous relief to all involved when, on this day (25th October) 1946 the buses brought the last residents back.