On New Years Eve 1834 Belfast Charitable Society met, as they did on a weekly basis, to discuss the ongoing running of the Poor House. However, at this meeting they agreed to a request from Dr Drummond, a visiting physician to the Poor House and teacher of Anatomy at the Belfast Academical Institution, to have a single grave in the Strangers Ground.
What was so usual about this request? Well, this was no ‘ordinary’ grave. It was specifically for the burial of dissected remains from Inst which were used for research by the aspiring doctors at the school.