Interest in the heritage of Northern Ireland has never been stronger and as such Clifton House Heritage Centre, the former Poor House will open it’s doors to the public during European Heritage Open Weekend in September

The Poor House was opened in 1774 by Belfast Charitable Society and much of what is taken for granted in the Belfast today owes it’s origin to the Society. The foundation of social welfare, the provision of clean water and the first hospital all began in the Poor House. Artefacts and information display panels highlighting its history and founding members will be on display throughout the building.

The building is open to visitors on Saturday 12 & Sunday 13 September from 2pm – 4.30pm. Tours will be available throughout the day.

Over the same weekend in 2014 nearly 200 visitors came from across Northern Ireland and further afield and the Society looks forward to welcoming more visitors in 2015 to what is considered one of the finest surviving buildings of Georgian Belfast.