Heritage

/Heritage

Administering Relief: The Belfast Poor Districts (1809)

By |March 22nd, 2018|

As Belfast continued to expand, the Belfast Charitable Society divided the town into ‘Poor Districts’ in 1809. These were administration areas, with each district assigned a dedicated member of the Committee to look after both admissions to the Poor House, as well as to enquire on individuals and families who requested outdoor relief.
The divisions, as […]

On this day… Apprentices and the Belfast Charitable Society

By |March 14th, 2018|

The apprenticeship scheme formed a large part of the work of the Belfast Charitable Society from the early days. They found employers for the children, undertook welfare visits twice annually, and allowed the children to come back to the Poor House at holiday times and if they suffered from illness.

The apprenticeship scheme compliment the education […]

International Women’s Day Lecture: The Life and Work of Mary Ann McCracken

By |February 26th, 2018|

This International Women’s Day Clifton House are hosting a special lecture looking at the life and work of Mary Ann McCracken.

The Suffragettes established International Women’s Day in 1911 and this year’s theme is ‘Press for Progress’. Come along on 8th March and hear how Mary Ann McCracken pressed for progress both within the walls of […]

The Burying Ground And The Belfast Charitable Society Archive

By |February 3rd, 2016|

On Friday 3rd March 1779 The New Burying Ground was formally announced to the public.  “The Public are now informed that the Burying Ground near the Poor House is now ready, and that Messers. Robert Stevenson, William Clark, and John Caldwell are appointed to agree with such persons who wish to take lots.” It was […]

European Heritage Open Days

By |September 9th, 2015|

Interest in the heritage of Northern Ireland has never been stronger and as such Clifton House Heritage Centre, the former Poor House will open it’s doors to the public during European Heritage Open Weekend in September

The Poor House was opened in 1774 by Belfast Charitable Society and much of what is taken for granted in […]